Today’s prompt: 20 random facts about me.
- I have an extreme fear of cockroaches, bedbugs and pretty much any parasitic bug. The cockroaches make sense as I lived an apartment that had cockroaches (something that isn’t very common where I live). I find them creepy. The bedbug fear is totally irrational. I think it comes from the time of the cockroaches as the baby cockroaches (the nymphs) looked like bed bugs to me. My husband though I had delusional parasitosis once. I guess I sort of did. The dog had something called ‘snow fleas‘. They are not parasitic like a true flea, but they look and move like fleas and I was completely creeped out by it. After finding the one bug on her, I could swear I could feel bugs crawling on me. Luckily this was short lived. I think a real infestation would probably send me over the edge.
- I’m a total baby when I’m sick. I’m sick right now. It sucks, although it sucks less now that I am off nicotine. If I remember back to the last time I was sick at the end of February, too sick to vape so I was going through nicotine withdrawal and being sick at the same time so I guess it could be worse.
- I almost died 11 years ago of complications to an E. coli 0157 (the really awful kind) infection. I had a complication that is super rare amongst adults, but common among children. I had a whole team of residents working on me. I had to be on blood pressure medication for a bit to help my kidneys get back to normal.
- I’m a weird mixture of introvert and extrovert. My husband (an extrovert) doesn’t get it. He thinks it is funny that I needed a job where I work with people only to need to be alone/ do things by myself to recharge after work.
- I taught myself how to can because I am obsessed with pickles. I love pickles. I can eat a whole jar in one sitting (although I don’t anymore because I don’t feel too good afterward.)
- I always order a clamato juice as my drink of choice on flights.
- I’m a morning person. During my nine months of nicotine use, I thought it was just because I really needed to get up and use but it turns out I’m just a morning person.
- Even though I am a morning person, I do most things really slow (especially in the morning.) It takes me an hour to get ready in the morning.
- I don’t wear makeup unless someone is getting married or I am going out somewhere fancy.
- I only get my haircut every 6 months. My hairdresser is always impressed at how nice my ends are despite the fact that I never get my hair cut.
- I like really bad tv shows made for teens. I guess this love started when I was a teen with shows like Degrassi Junior High, Degrassi High and Breaker High. Ryan Gosling got his start on Breaker High. I’m sure he would love to forget that. I never really grew out of liking these bad teen TV shows. I’ve seen every season of Degrassi the Next Generation, and Degrassi Next Class. Discovered Dance Academy recently and watched it twice. I loved the O.C. and Dawson’s Creek.
- I also really like reading fantasy novels. This love started young. I read Robert Jordan’s Eye of the Storm (Volume 1 of his Wheel of Time series) when I was 13. Reading logs in grade 8 were done by counting the number of pages and I regularly crushed it because Robert Jordan writes really long books.
- My favourite Sci-Fi book of all time is Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card. I’ve lost track of how many times I’ve read it.
- My favourite book to read when I feel lost is The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. I find I always get something new from it.
- I have trouble equalizing the pressure in my ears. This makes the landing when I fly painful and actually made it impossible for me to scuba dive.
- I love camping and spending time in the backcountry but I hate sleeping on the ground. I sleep terribly every time I go camping. To remedy this, I’ve considered taking up long distance hiking so that I can hike to places that most people don’t see day hiking, but spend the night sleeping in a bed. I haven’t done it yet though.
- I hate talking to strangers on the phone. I have pretty bad anxiety around it. When I was a teen, I would refuse to order pizza because I didn’t want to talk to the stranger on the phone. This fear held me back from potential jobs I’m sure. In fact, I almost didn’t get this job because I had a phone interview and it was so terrible.
- My favourite thing to make is salad dressing. I’m often disappointed now when I go out to eat and the salad dressing has no flavour.
- The first band I became obsessed with as a teen was the Beatles. I still really like them to this day.
- I can’t sleep naked. I hate the feeling of my bare legs sticking to each other or to my husband. Luckily he feels the same way and also prefers to sleep clothed. I remember back to traveling around Europe at the age of 19. We were in Rome and it was getting to 40 degrees celsius during the day, slightly less hot at night. All of my friends elected to sleep naked and I couldn’t do it or at least not completely. I had to keep my pajama pants on.
Well that was random and actually kind of fun to write. So if nobody else enjoys reading it at least I had fun writing it.
Meditation: Revitalizing Breath